A simple recipe for a Victoria Sponge. The ingredients can all be found here.
- 4 Arlington eggs
- 225g caster sugar
- 225g self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 225g unsalted butter
- Raspberry or Strawberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 160c, grease and line two 20cm/8in sandwich tins. Use a piece of baking paper to rub a little butter around the inside of the tins until the sides and base are lightly coated, then line the bottom with a circle of baking paper.
- Break the eggs into a large mixing bowl then add the flour, sugar, baking powder and butter. Mix together well using a wooden spoon or electric hand mixer (be careful not to over mix if using) the finished mixture should fall off a spoon easily.
- Place your tins one at a time on some scales and divide the mixture equally. Using a spatula to remove all the mixture from the bowl and gently smooth the surface of the cake.
- Bake the cakes on the middle shelf of the oven for 25 minutes, check them after 20 minutes. The cakes are ready when they’re golden-brown in colour and coming away from the edge of the tin. Press them gently to check they should be springy to touch, leave to cool for a couple of minutes then turn out onto a cooling wire.
- To assemble the cake, place one cake upside down onto a plate and spread it with plenty of jam of your choice. If you want to you can spread over some whipped cream flavoured with vanilla as a naughty treat. Top with the second cake, and dust with icing sugar.