A tasty twist of a classic – the quail adds a gamey twist to the tandoori flavours. The creamy, cooling dip is the perfect accompaniment.
- 4 quail
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 5cm/2in piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground fennel seed
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 ground cardamon pod
- 100ml flavourless oil
- Spatchcock the quail.
- Mix the spices and yoghurt in a bowl until well combined and coat the quail with the marinade. Cover with clingfilm and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Heat a griddle pan until hot, then add the quail, skin-side down, and grill for 3 minutes on each side. Remove the quail from the griddle and leave to rest for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with a raitha dip, with a scattering of chopped mint.