The starter served at the Tiffany & Co Royal Charity Polo Cup Event was labneh, pickled beetroot, heirloom carrot and truffle honey salad with Parma ham created by executive chef Sophie Michell of Belgraves Hotel and Gorgeous Kitchen Heathrow.
Chef Sophie Michell’s beetroot, carrot and truffle honey salad
- Pickled beets (makes enough for a few recipes)
- 3 bunches of baby yellow beetroot
- 3 bunches of baby purple beetroot
- 500ml of cider vinegar
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 red chilli, cut in half down the middle
- 2 cloves garlic
- 12 baby carrots
- 1 yellow heirloom carrot
- 1 orange carrot
- 1 purple heirloom carrot
- 2 baby candy strip beetroot
- 300g labneh
- 200g candied pumpkin seeds
- 100g of truffle honey
- Handful of peashoots
- Trim the stalks and leaves down on the baby beetroot, then place the yellow in one pan and the purple in another and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer until tender, about 15/20 minutes, then take off the heat and drain.
- When cool, rub skin off but keep the stems attached. Continue to keep the yellow and purple separate. Then pour vinegar, spices and sugar into a smaller saucepan and bring to the boil, turn down and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Then when all the sugar has dissolved, take off the heat and add the chilli and garlic.
- Pour half the vinegar over yellow beets and half over purple beets. Place in fridge.
- Pre-heat oven to 200C, place carrots on a tray, drizzle with olive oil and season. Roast for 10 minutes until cooked and golden.Then prepare the Heirloom carrots, peel and prep into thin strips using a peeler and add to a bowl. Dress with a touch of dressing and seasoning. Then finely slice the candy beets too and set aside.
- To serve, spread some labneh across the plate and then arrange the various beets and carrots across. Add pea shoots and pumpkin seeds then drizzle with truffle honey.