Berlin’s Fruit Logistica exhibition
I was really looking forward to our trip to Berlin, especially visiting the Fruit Logistica exhibition at the Messe Berlin, with its 25 halls packed with producers from all over the world. The purpose of our trip was to find growers that we could deal with direct for the European and Southern Hemisphere seasons and getting the quality, freshness and price right.
We started with the America’s which was at the south side of the building. This place was huge; I’m quite sure we could have walked around for two weeks and not seen everything.
I did have a loose game plan; who to see and where they were positioned. This worked for about four hours then we just started walking around trying to talk to as many people as possible. It was thirsty work so thank goodness most stands had a bar! Rob Lyons had worn new shoes and needed a wheelchair by mid afternoon.
We bumped into friends old and new and since we have been back we have brought nearly 20 new suppliers on board.
- Niklas Mushrooms – A nice addition of South African Ceps.
- Kernel – Spanish salad grower, baby coloured cauliflowers and baby cabbages.
- Escriggourment – Spanish grower of outstanding lemon, oranges, bloods and mandarins.
- Philabon – Awesome stand with a beach, hut and rum cocktails. A French supplier of fantastic Charentais melons and Queen Victoria baby pineapples.
- Citricola – mexican lime grower, out of this world limes.
This is just a taster as we are going to be bringing you a lot more this year and next.